Monday, May 5, 2008

Publishing Photo Books

I'm currently consulting with a photographer/author team on their book project. With BEA (BookExpo) in L.A. at the end of May, they needed a solid plan.

I feel their concept has heaps of potential. This is their first book. However, they both work with the production/printing end of bookmaking, which gives them some special advantages.

Here are a few of the topics I covered:
  • specifications of publication
  • production schedule and budget
  • marketing materials
  • traditional vs. self publishing deals
  • underwriters and sponsors
  • publicity tour
  • multimedia products
  • tie-ins and partnerships


  • After our meeting, here was their feedback:

    "Thanks so much for meeting with us! You were absolutely fantastic! ... and exceeded expectations!"

    "It was great meeting you. And thank you for all of your advice. I can see that we have a lot of work cut out for us but I feel like we have a much better chance of success thanks to your help."

    I'll be sharing more about this project once it is ready for prime time.